Commercial or Explainer Video?
Explainer videos have become very popular of late. But which is right for you, an explainer video or a commercial? This depends on your reason for using video and the message you wish to convey. Commercials and explainer videos serve different purposes and work well in different contexts.
This short checklist may help you make the decision:
The advantages of a commercial:
- Commercials work well to introduce new clients to your brand
- Commercials allow you to show the personality of your brand
- They are engaging and can really make an emotional connection
- Information is often presented in an entertaining or engaging way
- The sky is the limit as to the scope and angle you can use for a commercial
- They are usually shorter, between 30 seconds and a minute.
The advantages of an explainer video:
- Explainer or “How to” videos work well with viewers who are already engaged with your brand, to find out new information or learn more about your offerings
- Explainer videos explain the usefulness and basic function of a product or service. People gain a better understanding of what you offer
- They explain concepts using video and audio that may be more difficult to understand using text alone
- They can be engaging way to present complex information in a simpler format
- Information is usually presented in a clear, concise, often linear way
- They are usually longer than commercials, e.g. 1-2 minutes or even longer
Live action or animated video?
- Live action: Having people in your video can create an emotional connection, as people are naturally drawn to other human faces. This also creates a trust factor that is much harder to create with an animated video, as you have to use words alone to build trust.
- Animated video: There is more scope to draw viewers’ attention to concepts that are not easily explained using live action.